Who is an ECDE teacher?
An ECDE teacher is a person or a worker skilled in Early Childhood Development and Education, (ECDE) or a closely related field. Early childhood development and education is a branch of education that deals with teaching children from birth up to the age of eight (8) years. ECDE teachers teach children in kindergarten, nursery and preschools.
Other related title(s)
- Early childhood assistant
- Early childhood tutor
What is the work environment?
ECDE teachers works indoor within kindergartens, nursery and preschools among other environments
Some important skills and qualities to have
- Enthusiasm and passion for children
- Good understanding of children needs
- Creativity skills
- Problem solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Basic IT skills
- Patience in dealing with children
- Good teaching skills
- Among others
What are some career opportunities?
ECDE teachers can find employment opportunities within kindergartens, nursery schools and early childhood centers among other areas.
ECDE teachers can also use their creativity and start their own early childhood related businesses.
Becoming an ECDE teacher
Minimum admission requirements
- A mean grade of D+ (Plus) and above in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) examination or its equivalent;
- Or other approved qualification
Training & Study options
If you meet the above minimum admission requirements, you can proceed to a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college and enroll for a relevant craft certificate course. Craft courses are also offered within Vocational Training Centers (VTCs) within your region.
What course(s) can you pursue in TVET colleges?
- Certificate in early childhood development and education
- Or other similar/ related fields
Kenya National Qualifications Framework (KNQF level 5)
Upon a successful completion of a craft certificate course, you can advance your education upward (in a relevant field) up to university level if you like. How is this possible?
- Get a craft certificate
- Advance to diploma certificate, (in a relevant field)
- Advance to degree certificate, (in a relevant field)
Other qualification levels
- Diploma level: Diploma in Early Childhood Development & Education (KCSE mean grade C plain)
- Degree level: Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood and Development Education, (KCSE mean grade C+ and above with, ENG –C(PLAIN, MAT A/MAT B -D+, C+ in TWO Teaching subjects.
How to Join TVET College
There are two ways you can follow to join training institution(s) in pursuit of your career of choice.
- Applying through Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (Kuccps), for government sponsored students.
- Applying directly to training institution of your choice, for self-sponsored students.
There are various ways you can access financial aid to support your postsecondary education. Some of them are listed below;
- Apply for education loan through Higher Education Loans Board (HELB). Besides the loan, HELB can also give you a bursary. Visit HELB website for more information on loan limits and bursaries.
- Apply for education bursaries from National Government Constituency Development Fund (NG-CDF), from your local Member of Parliament, (MP).
- Access education bursaries from your County Government.
- Some corporate organizations, colleges and universities offer scholarships to bright but needy students, among other sources.
- Get timely information on these scholarships, bursaries and financial aid to know where and when to apply.